After the first six months with your baby at the centre of your world, quality time alone with a partner might seem like a very strange idea! But trust us, there’s nothing better to lift your spirits
This is a good ‘first date’ – you won’t need a babysitter or have the hassle of getting home afterwards, and just a little planning makes it special.
- pick a night that suits you both – you don’t want to surprise your partner with a romantic meal if they’re planning to work all evening, or had a huge lunch
- recreate the nights out you used to enjoy – if you’re film buffs, download a classic; if you love eating out, choose restaurant-style food
- make a little effort – even just putting a clean top on marks the shift from baby time to couple time
- clear away reminders of the baby. It’s hard to focus on each other if you’re eating beside a highchair
- play your favourite music, watch your wedding video or get out pre-baby holiday snaps
- cook anything complicated – remember the expression ‘Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom!’
- forget romance – it only takes a minute to spray on perfume and light a candle
- just talk ‘baby’
- get into a ‘tiredness competition’ – no one wins!
- drink too much if you’re still breastfeeding. If you’d like a glass of wine, feed your baby first – it takes about two hours for a small, 125ml glass of wine to be removed from your system. And don’t forget that your tolerance of alcohol will be low after all those months of abstinence!
No-fuss ideas for fun foodie nights in
- three classic courses needing hardly any preparation – we’d suggest prawns with avocado, beef medallions, rocket salad and potato Dauphinoise, then something gorgeous and chocolatey
- your favourite restaurant choices from the Tesco finest* range. The beauty of not cooking is that you can each have different dishes!
- a luxurious indoor picnic with focaccia, Parma ham, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and lemon tart
A good night out can leave you refreshed and ready for anything your baby has in store for you.
- leave time to get ready – no one wants to sit in a restaurant with baby yoghurt in their hair
- choose a babysitter you trust completely, and give them the address and contact number of the place you’re going to as well as your mobile number just in case it’s in a bad signal area
- make your Tesco Clubcard vouchers go further with Clubcard Rewards
- call home every 10 minutes – you’ll ruin your evening and undermine the babysitter
- expect to dance until dawn just to prove you still can!
- think you have to spend money – go for a romantic walk or gentle bike ride
- choose a place with lots of children – it will only remind you of your own
- arrange to meet others – this is all about the two of you
- feel you have to go out in the evening – a lazy lunch is just as much fun
Get more with your Clubcard!
Don’t forget that, as well as getting money off your next grocery shop, you can use your Clubcard vouchers to buy treats for a romantic night in, from flowers, fizz and favourite foods to a new dress. You can also make your Clubcard vouchers go further with our Partner rewards, including:
- meals at many restaurants such as Pizza Express, Café Rouge and Zizzi
- night away in a hotel
- culture – from watching the latest movies to visiting the best museums
- travel – when you’re ready to go further afield, you can hop on a boat, train or plane together
To find out more, visit www.tesco.com/clubcard
Taking time for yourself is important too – read our tips on boosting your self-confidence