These healthy pancakes are a great way of using up bananas – it works well with ones that are brown or slightly past their best. Try cutting into triangles for perfect baby finger food!
For the pancakes
- 150g self raising wholemeal flour (gluten free if required)
- 1tsp baking powder (gluten free if required)
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large or 3 small very ripe bananas
- 2 large free range eggs
- 125ml milk
- 3tbsp melted butter
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil (for frying)
For the compote
- 500g frozen or fresh blackberries
- 2 sweet ripe pears or British eating apples
- 1tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
- 100ml apple juice
- Place the bananas into a food processor, crack in the eggs and blend until just a little fluffy.
- Pour in all the remaining ingredients and blend again until well combined.
- Pour the batter mixture into a bowl.
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan on a low heat and pour in ⅓ of the oil. Spoon the mixture into the pan.
- Pour this into the pre-heated frying pan, making sure you try to keep all the pancakes roughly the same size. You will probably manage to cook 3-4 at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook the pancake for about one minute per side, and when you start to see little bubbles appear on the surface of each pancake they are ready to be turned. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove them from the pan and place onto absorbent kitchen towel, while you do another batch. Repeat until all of your batter mixture has been used.
For the compote
- Grate the apples or pears, and discard the core.
- Place the grated fruit into a microwavable dish with the frozen blackberries, the apple juice and the mixed spice or cinnamon. Cover with clingfilm, pierce with a fork and microwave on full power for three minutes.
- Remove the dish from the microwave. Stir well, and cover again. Place back into the microwave for another three minutes until the fruits are soft and squashy.
- If it looks a bit runny, drain off some of the liquid.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes, before portioning into weaning cube containers or ice cube trays.
- Freeze until needed – just defrost and use as you require. If serving immediately, warm and serve with freshly made pancakes.