Inspired by travels in Kerala, this warm and mild curry is derived from the Babease Keralan vegetable curry pouch and is perfect for the autumn months. This recipe is guaranteed to please even the most adventurous curry eater, as well as first-time tasters! Serve with brown rice and yoghurt for a perfect midweek family meal
- Your choice of cooking oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 280g pumpkin, chopped (butternut squash or sweet potato also works well)
- 180ml passata
- 170ml coconut milk
- 400g chickpeas, drained
- Salt (if using)
- Brown rice
- Heat a pan over medium heat with a splash of oil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once they start to turn golden, add the spices and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the pumpkin and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the passata, coconut milk and chickpeas.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender, and the sauce is the desired consistency, adding more water if needed. Once cooked, cover with a lid to keep warm.
- TIP: Remove a portion for your little one and then season the remainder with salt to taste, and even chilli if you so wish.
- Serve over rice with a squeeze of lemon, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of coriander.
Babease Family Hack
To make this perfect family recipe suitable for your little one, simply remove a portion or two (it will keep well in the fridge for a few days, making it ideal for batch cooking) and either blend or chop to the correct consistency depending what stage your little one is at. We also like to remove some of the pumpkin and keep whole to use for finger food…happy days!
Short of time? Add the Babease Keralan vegetable curry pouch to your shopping basket for a quick, healthy meal.