This creamy avocado pesto takes just minutes to make, so it’s perfect for new parents who need a quick and nourishing meal. Stir it through pasta, or try a twist on the classic avocado and toast with a crispy baguette, sliced tomatoes and parma ham. Toddlers can get involved too; simply serve as finger food with toasted pitta slices.
- 2 medium ripe Hass avocados
- 15g fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3tbsp pine nuts
- 75ml olive oil
- 20g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the stone. Scoop out the flesh using a large spoon and place in your food processor.
- Tear the basil leaves from their stalks. Peel and grate the garlic on the finest side of the grater. Add all the ingredients to the avocado and pulse to a rough paste. Blend slightly smoother if serving to small children, and remember to make sure they don’t have any allergies to the ingredients.
- Stir through pasta and serve with a few cherry tomatoes, parmesan and fresh basil, if you like. It’s best eaten as soon as it’s made. Enjoy!
Tip: If you don’t have a blender or you don’t want to wake a sleeping baby with the noise, you could use a pestle and mortar instead. In this case, start with the pine nuts, basil and garlic. Pound to a rough paste then add the avocado, lemon juice and olive oil and grind until smooth.
Storage suggestion: If you are storing the pesto in the fridge, make sure you keep it in an airtight container to stop it going brown. A good way to do this is to use clingfilm over the top, which should stay in contact with the pesto.