This easy and versatile family recipe is loaded with seasonal vegetables for your little one to try. Any leftovers from the protein-packed chicken can be used for other dishes – try blending with veg into a textured sauce that can be stirred through pasta for a tasty midweek dinner.
- 1 large free range chicken (about 2kg in weight)
- 4tsp smoked paprika
- 4tsp dried oregano
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- ½ small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine, peeled
- ½ small butternut squash or small pumpkin, diced or cut into wedges
- 200g baby plum tomatoes, cut into halves
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- Place chicken onto a solid baking dish with high sides. Rub with olive oil, a pinch of salt (to help the skin crisp), the smoked paprika and the dried oregano.
- Place the chicken into a preheated oven for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Add the diced red onion, red pepper, courgette, aubergine, butternut squash, cauliflower florets, halved tomatoes and chickpeas to a baking dish. Add the smoked paprika and oregano, and drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Once the chicken has been in the oven for 30 mins, put the vegetables on the top shelf of the oven and cook everything for a further 40-50 minutes.
- After this time has passed, remove the vegetables and chicken from the oven and allow to rest.
- To check that the chicken is cooked, use a digital temperature probe – it should read over 75°C. Alternatively, you can check that the juices from the leg are running clear and that there is no pink or red meat present when you cut into the meat.
- Carve the chicken, and serve with the vegetables. Pour the chicken juices over the dish for extra flavour.
Using up leftovers
Leftover chicken from the carcass, and any spare vegetables can be used to make a tasty frittata.
- Crack 3 eggs into a bowl, and whisk well. Fold in the leftovers and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with 1tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, add the chicken, vegetables and egg mix. Cook for 4-5 mins, allowing the eggs to set on the bottom.
- Place under a hot grill for 6-8 mins until the top is set. You can also do this in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
- Once cooked, portion and serve with a green salad.